|Type of record:||Monument|
Fieldwalking between 1982 and 1984 recovered prehistoric worked flint and Iron Age, Roman, Saxon and medieval pottery fragments. Also found were a Roman brick and roof tile.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3273 2554|
|Parish:||DILHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Winter to Spring 1982-1983. Field either side of road leading northeast to
Systematic fieldwalking of area marked on map in file: note that scatters continue beyond boundaries of work, which should be extended for winter 1983 to 1984.
See lists in secondary file for material.
A. Gregory (NAU), 4 October 1983.
1985. Area extended on map to include further fieldwalking which produced another pot boiler site. Cropmarks also noted.
See text of dissertation (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 26 November 1985
January 2007. Norfolk NMP.
On the information given, it is difficult to pin-point the exact location of the cropmarks mentioned above. Nothing of significance was noted in this area on the consulted aerial photographs.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 3 January 2007.
- BURNT MOUND (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- POT (Undated)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT BOILER (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BRICK (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Hooper, R.. A beginning in the study of the landscape history and field archaeology of the parishes of Dilham and Smallburgh in north east Norfolk.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...