Record Details

NHER Number:19386
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of post medieval wind pump

Summary

The site of a windpump, marked on early 19th century maps. The site is now occupied by a steam pumphouse of 1849 and a mechanical pumphouse of 1921. This building is now the Tilney Drainage Museum.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 546 110
Map Sheet:TF51SW
Parish:MARSHLAND ST. JAMES, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Site of windpump. Marked on (S1). Site now occupied by mechanical pumphouse dated 1921. Also shown on (S2).
R. Silvester (NAU).

August 1983. Is this the same site as that on Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society (NIAS) fiche called Terrington St John's Fen End Pump?
E. Rose (NAU), 2 August 1983.

See further NIAS survey 1993 on fiche (S3).

(S4) notes a Thompson and Stather engine of 1849 removed in 1938 when diesel installed. A 1921 Dodman was in a separate building, in turn replaced by diesel in 1950. Chimney and boilers removed 1949, converted to electricity 1992. Diesel engines are 'in a museum'. This building is now marked as 'Museum' by Ordnance Survey.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 December 2003.

This building is now the Tilney Drainage Museum advertised as 'in a pumphouse of 1849'.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 May 2006.

The main part of the building is of 1849, brown Marshland brick, tall three storey structure but the gable and roof are replacements. Date on stone bridge coping now removed and lying in yard. 1921 block is an extension. Originally a steam pump with beam engine replaced by Crossley engine 1928; extension had 1922 Triton pumps by Dodmans of Lynn, removed 1951 and Merilees inserted.
E. Rose (NLA), 21 August 2006.

Monument Types

  • PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WIND PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Map: Watts, T.. 1803. 6 inch Enclosure Map of Marshland.
<S3>Fiche: Exists.
<S4>Article in Serial: Hinde, K.. 2002. Pumping Stations of the Norfolk Fens.. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 7, no 2, p 16-17. Vol 7, No 3, p 65.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service