|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Probable Roman settlement site|
Finds in 1983 of large quantities of Roman pottery and brick fragments between two infilled waterways indicate a probable settlement site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5183 1013|
|Parish:||MARSHLAND ST. JAMES, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
7 March 1983. Quite a large Roman site or two and infilling the gap between two converging roddons. Pottery and briquetage in quantity.
Some bone and also some tile (modern?). Pottery under winter wheat, partly freshly planted and harrowed. 110m west to east by 60m north to south maximum at 7 to 8 feet OD. Important because still ploughed during last three years only. Previously permanent pasture. Accounts for large size of pot fragments.
R. Silvester (NAU), March 1983.
For full details of wares, flint types etc see Fenland Folders
It seems probable that this is inaccurately marked on the NHER map; the site is probably slightly to the south, due to the use of the provisional series 6 inch Ordnance Survey which does not show the large barn that crosses the site as marked, though that has been there since 1973
(see 1:10,000 Ordnance Survey 1974).
E. Rose (NLA), 4 November 1996.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- BRIQUETAGE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF510A-B. |
|---||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. MSJ 2. FENS. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...