Record Details

NHER Number:18976
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Lewes/Sculham's medieval manor and chantry chapel

Summary

In 1983 an area of earthworks was noted here. These earthworks took the form of a series of building platforms and the remnants of a moat. It has been suggested that this is either the location of Lewes Manor or Sculham’s Manor (see also NHER 18947). It is also possible that the manor house here had an associated chantry chapel. In the late 18th century an effigy was found here and a mass of bricks were unearthed in the early 20th century. The earthworks of this site are presently well preserved under a good cover of grass.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 4823 1353
Map Sheet:TF41SE
Parish:WEST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

6 March 1983. Area of earthworks in two fields either side of avenue leading to Priory Farm. Under permanent pasture.
Appears to be remnants of a moat in western field which originally extended into orchard to west.
In eastern series of platforms?
Observed but not closely plotted.
Identified by R. Silvester (NAU) March 1983.
R. Silvester (NAU) March 1983.

Referred to in Sussex Notes and Queries. See (S1) and (S2).
Findspot of effigy removed from church, found in about 1780 'in a ditch not far from the Priory House' and returned to church. 'Masses of bricks' found in cultivation in around 1936.
See references above, copies filed under NHER 2210 and 1910.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 April 1983.

August-September 1983.
Detailed survey of earthworks by R. Silvester (NAU), see file.
See NA XXXIX (S3) - manor of Lewes priory with chapel in 13th century in this area.
Davison in (S4) says that this is not Lewes Manor, which he places at site NHER 11959, but the manor of Sculham's which had a chapel in the 13th century - formerly located at site NHER 18947, q.v.

1989-1990. Further fieldwork carried out as part of Fenland Evaluation Project.
Ditches of moat augered for waterlogged deposits and soil profiles.
A dossier has been prepared- copy in file.
M. Leah (NAU) August 1986.

For full details of wares, flint types etc. see Fenland Folders (S5).

Under excellent pasture, grazed by horses. Earthworks as described in Silvester survey of 1989-90. Under no threat in present ownership, but certainly candidate for scheduling under Monument Protection Programme.
H. Paterson (NLA) 25 September 1996.

(S6) speaks of a chantry chapel 'one mile from West Walton church'. Could this be the chapel in this manor house? Of the chapels known in the parish it is the only one roughly a mile from the church.
E. Rose (NLA) 23 February 2000.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • EFFIGY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 4813A-E (15-4-83), TF 4813F-H (9-2-84).
---*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WNW 46. FENS.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Sussex Notes and Queries. VI, 2.
<S2>Publication: Sussex Notes and Queries. VI, 1.
<S3>Article in Serial: Silvester, R. J. 1985. West Walton: The Development of a Siltland Parish. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXIX Pt II pp 101-117.
<S4>Article in Serial: Davison, A. 1996. The Manors of West Walton. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt III pp 339-343.
<S5>Archive: Fenland Folders.
<S6>Article in Serial: Wood, R. 1999. The Chantry Certificates of Norfolk: Towards a Partial Reconstruction. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 287-306.

Related records

18947Related to: Multi-period objects, coins and pottery sherds (Find Spot)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service