|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Holkham village|
The site of the medieval village of Holkham is now partly occupied by the ornamental lake created within the park, NHER 1802. An estate map of 1590 depicts the houses of the village clustered around a small central common, with two manor houses, one of which is on the site of the present Hall, NHER 1801. During the 18th century the village was gradually removed from the park, and the inhabitants rehoused in estate cottages.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8823 4310|
|Parish:||HOLKHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of old Holkham village as marked on (S1), which also marks present village as 'Staithe' (see Staithe Wood in park). Village was mentioned in Domesday, Nomina Villarum, had 53 taxpayers in 1332, was enclosed in 1517.
The Ordnance Survey say the lake which covers the site was made in 1730 to 1759, though Pevsner says 1762.
No trace of village on land either side of lake.
E. Rose (NAU) 30 April 1977.
See (S2) for description of village including the site of a manor house.
E. Rose 23 May 1989.
Background papers for (S2) in file.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 84 SE 7 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 423-424. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Holkham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Map: Clerke, T. 1590. The Description of the lordeshippe or mannor of Holkeham as the same lyethe within the meetes and boundes in the countie of Norfolke [Map of Holkham parish]. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Davison, A. 1988. Six Deserted Villages in Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 44. pp 71-82. |
Related records - none
Find out more...