|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval obelisk and lamp post|
A square stone obelisk marked with a list of places and their distances. It seems to have been a 17th century gatepost from Melton Constable Hall, removed during alterations and given to the town. Adjacent to the obelisk is a good quality cast iron lamp post of 1887, removed from the Market Place when the present War Memorial was built.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0768 3867|
|Parish:||HOLT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Pillar (marked as 'Guidepost' on Ordnance Survey map).
Bears a list of places and their distances.
Square, with ornate top.
This was in fact originally a 17th century? Gatepost from Melton Constable Hall removed in alterations and given to the town. Information from S. White (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 18 January 1982.
The distances given are in fact not correct from here, but are correct from Melton Constable, suggesting this was a pillar standing by the gate there rather than a gatepost. Information from J. Denny (North Norfolk District Council).
It is identical to the gate pillars of the west park entrance.
E. Rose (NAU) 17 January 1983.
An identical column was given to East Dereham at the same time and remained there until the late 1940s. The Holt column on one panel has a list of Norfolk country houses. The stone blocks are joined with lead.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 December 1992.
If the story is correct the pillar was moved before 1797, as Faden's map marks distances around Holt as '…miles from Holt Obelisk'. One wonders therefore whether the apparent mistakes in mileage are really due to the different courses of roads at that time.
E. Rose (NLA), 8 February 1995.
Adjacent to the Obelisk is a cast iron Victoria Jubilee (1887) lamp post removed from the site in the Market Place presently occupied by the War Memorial. It is an object of some quality in its own right and has been suggested as being manufactured by McFarlane's of Glasgow. Restored 1995. See notes in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 June 1995.
Carol Haines's Norfolk Milestones series gives a description of the obelisk as well as a list of the mileages on each face.
See (S1) for details.
D. Holburn (HES), 11 January 2012.
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MILESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SIGNPOST (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: C. W. Haines. 1989. Norfolk Milestones, Part III. Journal of Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society. Vol. 4, No. 4, pp 137-142. p 139 & p 140. |
Related records - none
Find out more...