|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible medieval or post medieval flint or chalk mine, garden of 30 Castle Street|
In 1981 excavations for a pond at this property revealed a deep shaft with tunnels branching off from it. These tunnels contained old clay pipe and bones and were probably of medieval or post medieval date. It has been suggested that this was an old chalk mine.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8732 8300|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
August 1981. Excavations for a pond revealed a 9.2m (30ft) deep shaft with 'a web of tunnels branching off'.
Contained 'old clay pipe and bones'. The tunnels were 'tall enough to stand up in and extended for up to 9.2m (30ft) ending in a hollowed-out room'. These must pre-date the house which is of 1806.
See report (S1) and newspaper cutting (S2) in file.
Photographs suggest a flint mine, (S1) suggests a chalk mine.
Compare with a similar shaft found under No.44, a few houses to the east, some years ago (NHER 15111).
E. Rose (NAU), 3 September 1981.
- CHALK PIT? (Unknown date)
- DENE HOLE? (Unknown date)
- FLINT MINE? (Unknown date)
- CHALK PIT? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DENE HOLE? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- FLINT MINE? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- TUNNEL? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Gregory, A.. 1981. Chalk-lined shaft, 30 Castle Street, Thetford.. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Dug 4ft. Pond - Found a 30ft. Hole.. 27 August. |
|42852||Related to: Medieval quarry pits and remains of post medieval public house (Monument)|
|15111||Related to: Post medieval dene hole, under 44 Castle Street (Monument)|
|22885||Related to: Post medieval mine shaft (Monument)|
Find out more...