|Type of record:||Building|
Manor Barn originally dates to the early 16th century, constructed of flint and brick and probably first used as a house, rather than a farm building. Conversion in the 1980s resulted in the loss of several original features, and the interior is now almost completely modern.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2787 3874|
|Parish:||TRIMINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Revealing by demolition of farm buildings.
Long two storey flint building with brick-topped plinth and quoins. North facade had three upper windows of 16th century type retaining angled mullions towards west end. Remains of another at east end with between them the base of a small light now cut by eaves. Ground floor has two large windows of 16th century-type block in brick. One blocked in two stages. Several small square lights and two blocked doorways side by side of differing dates. Roof and east gable well with doors and windows are 18th-19th century. Probably originally a house rather than a farm building. Interior not seen.
Incorporated into farm when The Grange constructed in Georgian period. Now being converted back to housing.
Photograph in secondary file.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 April 1981.
Informant reports an upstairs fireplace formerly decorated with dragons in spandrels, destroyed in conversion.
Large downstairs windows have mullions retained behind blocking.
Architect told E. Rose that there are beams with single roll mouldings and hourglass stops (late 16th).
8 October 1992.
Property revisited; now known as Manor Barn. In the north facade the four original upper windows were examined
and found to have ovolo mullions. The small blocked light is above the eastern of the two facade doorways which appears to be original. The western is 18th/19th century; both are still blocked. New ground floor windows have removed the originals. The south wall is a rebuild, probably of 1981, but contains reset 19th century iron lattice windows. The south-west quoins are remarkable, chamfered in brick with a bar stop as if it were a wooden beam.
The interior is all of 1981 and none of the original beams now remain. Date of building confirmed as around 1600.
E. Rose 9 October 1992.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: Yardley, C.J.. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project.. p 12. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Photograph: BVS 21. |
Related records - none
Find out more...