|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval chapel|
The site of St James' medieval chapel, washed away in floods. The exact location of where the chapel stood is the subject of some discussion.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5206 0931|
|Parish:||MARSHLAND ST. JAMES, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of St. James's Chapel? Washed away in floods.
(S1) places this on site of modern church, NHER 2391.
But Dugdale's Map of Marshland (S2) (original in (S3), copy in (S4)), though not always easy to relate to modern maps, seems to place this chapel here.
It is perhaps significant that a cemetery is still marked at this spot, but note methodist chapel to north.
E. Rose and A. Rogerson (NAU), 16 February 1981.
(S4)'s copy of (S2) is wrong, and (S3)'s may not be the original, for R. Silvester (NAU) reports seeing the original in Wisbech Museum. This does not show a church here, but instead a cross, which is clearly a vague siting for Tom Hickathrift's Candlestick, NHER 2390.
(S4) has misinterpreted the cross symbol.
R. Silvester and E. Rose (NAU), 18 August 1983.
A. Rogerson visited site but found no trace of a church or finds.
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S2>||Map: Dugdale. 1662. Map of the Fens. |
|<S3>||Publication: Martin, T.. c.1740. Church Notes. |
|<S4>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Unknown - USE SPECIFIC VOLUME WHERE KNOWN. |
Related records - none
Find out more...