Record Details

NHER Number:16680
Type of record:Monument
Name:19th-century industrial site

Summary

During the 19th century this was the site of a limekiln and what appears to have been a relatively small brickworks. Cartographic and documentary sources suggest that these works were established at some time between the 1840s and 1870s, with activity ceasing around the beginning of the 20th century. The late 19th-century 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows that the limekiln was making use of chalk dug up from an extensive quarry in the field to the north. At this time the adjacent brickworks was operating a single kiln and a sawpit was also present. Although little of the brick kiln is thought to survive, the substantial limekiln is largely intact (the Grade II Listed remains of this structure are now recorded seperately as NHER 63726).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2688 2020
Map Sheet:TG22SE
Parish:COLTISHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

19th-century industrial site comprising a small brickworks, limekiln and saw pit. The well-preserved remains of the limekiln are now listed separately as NHER 63726.

Lime kiln and two brick kilns, early to mid 19th century.
Only the stoke hole survives of the brick kiln.
However, the lime kiln bell is infilled but the tunnel remains as "the largest and finest in Norfolk".
Of brick, pointed roof with tuilieres in apex.
Some flint in construction.
See NIAS records (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 30 October 1980.
Information from (S2).
P. Watkins (HES), 2 October 2019.

The site is noted in several directories:
-Kelly's 1853 (S3)
-White's 1854/64 (S4)
-Harrod's 1868
-Kelly's 1875
6ins O.S. map 1880-4 marks it as being a similar size and shape to what it is presently, indicating that not much lime was extracted here after then.
Information from NIAS records (S1)
W. Arnold (HES) 13 December 2010.

August 1991.
Limekiln listed Grade II.
See NHER 63726 for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 2 October 2019.

March 2018. Desk-based Assessment.
Production of Heritage Statement discussing potential impact on limekiln of proposed redevelopment of land behind 8A Station Road. This history of the site is also discussed in some details.
It is clear from cartographic sources that industrial activity at this location began at some point during the later 19th century, the works being depicted on the relevant sheet of the 1st Edition 25-inch Ordnance Survey map (issued in 1882) but not the Coltishall Tithe map of 1841. Trade directories document the arrival of brick and lime production industries in the parish during the 1850s and 1860s but it is argued that activity at this particular site may not have begun in earnest here until the railway to the north opened in the 1870s. The 1883 edition of White's Directory describes a "...large lime works…opened recently near the railway station, from which lime of a very superior quality is obtained". It is suggested that this refers to the site in question, although it should be noted that it could easily describe a lime works to the north-west where four kilns are known to have been in operation between 1879 and 1906 (NHER 16678).
The 1882 map shows the limekiln as a circular structure built into the southern edge of a large quarry (labelled as a 'Marl Pit' but presumably also the source of the chalk) that by this time occupied much of the field to the north. The brickworks is labelled 'Brick Field' and a single kiln, several clay pits and what were possible long drying sheds/racks are also marked. The presence of a saw pit at the northern edge of the site is also noted.
As at other lime production sites in the parish it appears that activity had ceased prior to or during the early 1900s, with no structures shown on any subsequent Ordnance Survey maps.
See report (S6) and NHER 63726 for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 3 October 2019.

September 2019. Field Observation.
Brief examination of limekiln during site visit.
See NHER 63726 for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 2 October 2019.

Monument Types

  • BRICK KILN (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1841 AD? to 1906 AD? (between))
  • BRICKWORKS (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1841 AD? to 1906 AD? (between))
  • CLAY PUDDLING PIT (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1841 AD? to 1906 AD? (between))
  • INDUSTRIAL SITE (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1841 AD? to 1906 AD? (between))
  • LIME WORKS (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1841 AD? to 1906 AD? (between))
  • SAW PIT (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1841 AD? to 1906 AD? (between))

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.
<S2>Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S3>Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk..
<S4>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.
<S5>Map: 1841. Coltishall 1841 Tithe Map.
<S6>Unpublished Contractor Report: Wilson, B. 2018. Land Behind 8A Station Road, Coltishall, Norfolk. Wilson Compton Associates.

Related records

63726Parent of: 19th-century lime kiln (Building)
MNO1828Related to: Limekiln about 140m E. of The Railway Public House Station Road COLTISHALL (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service