|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of a post medieval windmill near Mill Cottage|
A 19th century post mill is depicted on historic maps. It was demolished in 1875. A mound visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs taken in 1946 is almost certainly the associated mill mound.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3277 2684|
|Parish:||DILHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of wind mill.
Marked on (S1), 1836, but not on (S2), 1797.
E. Rose (NAU), 12 March 1980.
On Mill Common.
First appears on (S3),1826. Post mill. Demolished 1875.
E.Rose (NAU), 2 February 1982.
January 2007. Norfolk NMP.
NMP mapping has led to the alteration of the central grid reference of the site from TG 3272 2685 to TG 3278 2684.
A mound visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs (S4) at TG 3278 2684 is almost certainly the mill mound which once supported the 19th century post mill described above. Its location corresponds with that of the mill, as depicted on Dilham Tithe Map (S5). The mound is circular in plan and measures 13m in diameter. Its west side was cut by a World War Two slit trench (NHER 32564); whether any part of it still survives above ground is not known.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 4 January 2007.
- POST MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL MOUND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1634 5084-6 09-JUL-1946 (NHER TG 3226A, TG 3326A). |
|<S5>||Map: James Wright, Aylsham. 1840. Dilham Tithe Map. 1 inch: 3 chains. |
Related records - none
Find out more...