|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible site of Wiveton Windmill|
This is the site of Wiveton Windmill as marked on the first edition 1in Ordnance Survey of 1836. It was last used in 1846 and dismantled in 1850. The mill did not move to this location from NHER 15213. Instead, this was the original windmill site which was abandoned for a time in the 18th century and then reused in the 19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0405 4274|
|Parish:||WIVETON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of Wiveton windmill as marked on 1st edition 1in Ordnance Survey 1836.
Presumably moved from site NHER 15213 where it is shown by Faden 1797.
E. Rose (NAU) 29 February 1980.
A post mill last used in 1846, dismantled November 1850.
E. Rose (NAU) 24 March 1982.
However a map of 1586 reproduced in reference (S1) shows a postmill on this site, and not on site NHER 15213. So unless there was a mistake at the 1846 reprinting of the map, it would appear this was the original windmill site abandoned for a time in the 18th century and reused in the 19th.
E. Rose (NLA) 7 November 1997.
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Hooton, J.. 1997. The Glaven ports: a maritime history of Blakeney, Cley and Wiveton in North Norfolk.. p 114. |
|15213||Related to: Possible site of Wiveton Windmill (Monument)|
Find out more...