Record Details

NHER Number:15438
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval watermill


A post medieval watermill, marked on an 18th century map. It was positioned on the stream that pre dated the North Walsham and Dilham Canal, and when the canal was built in the 1820s, an artificial lake (Dilham Lakes) was constructed to give the mill a head of water.
Today, only the brick wheel pit of the mill survives, and Dilham Lakes is now under pasture.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 330 267
Map Sheet:TG32NW

Full description

Site of water mill.
Marked on Faden's map 1797 (S1) as on the course of the pre canal stream.
It would appear that after canalisation Dilham Lakes were constructed to provide a head of water from the mill See Old Mill
Stream on 6 inch OS.
E. Rose (NAU) 7 November 1979.

Only the wheelpit and some gearing now remain of this. Information from Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society.

The brick wheel pit is still there but the gearing has now gone.
(S2) in 1845 states that Dilham Mill was rebuilt 'about 17 years ago' though it puts it on the wrong side of the parish.
E. Rose (NAU) 5 February 1981.

Lake is now dry and pasture.

The mill originally stood on the River Ant, which was diverted to for the canal. Mill is noted in White's and Kelly's directories 1845 (S3) and 1904 (S4). By 1925 there is no mention of the mill.
It is also shown on 1in O.S. map, 1824-1836 (S5)
NIAS records (S6)
W. Arnold HES 04/01/11

Monument Types

  • WATERMILL (19th Century to Early 20th Century - 1820 AD? to 1904 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.
<S3>Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk.
<S4>Directory: Kelly, E.. Kelly's Directory of Norfolk..
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S6>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service