|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Mrs Jodrell's Summer House, Summer House Hill|
'Mrs Jodrell's Summer house' was marked at this location on Faden's map of 1797. It was illustrated by a little drawing of a house usually reserved for halls, suggesting this was a somewhat substantial structure. The surviving building dates to the 18th century, with 19th and 20th century alterations and restoration works.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 034 409|
|Parish:||WIVETON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'Mr Jodrell's Summer house' marked on Faden's map 1797 and illustrated by a little drawing of a house usually reserved for halls, suggesting this was a somewhat substantial structure.
Mr. Jodrell lived at Bayfield Hall.
E. Rose (NAU) 6 September 1979.
According to source  a square prospect house on the hill, built of bricks stamped MELTON CONSTABLE, was noted as in ruins in the 1920s and was rebuilt around 1980. Assuming the detail about the bricks is correct and they do not belong to later repairs, the name stamp suggests a 19th century date, indicating that this was not the building shown by Faden.
E. Rose (NLA) 24 July 1996.
Indeed, source  says this dates from around 1900.
D. Gurney (NLA) 25 July 1996.
Grid reference changed from TG 034 409 to TG 0352 4093.
The building is called 'Mrs Jodrell's Summer house', not 'Mr Jodrell's Summer house' on (S1).
The summer house survives. In (S2) it is described as square, brick, mid to late 18th century, restored and altered in the 20th century. It appears on (S3).
D. Robertson (NLA), 10 July 2008.
- GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SUMMERHOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1725 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. OS 73.212.032. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Williamson, T. 1996. Bayfield Hall Estate. Heritage Landscape Management Plan. Volume 4. History. University of East Anglia. |
|<S3>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...