|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Stanford deserted medieval village|
During 1969-79 a square embanked enclosure was noted around the church, along with other earthworks to the north and a hollow way to the east. A site visit in 2002 confirmed the presence of these earthworks and recorded a number of other ditched features. The Domesday Book mentioned a village in this area, and as such it seems likely that these features are the remnants of a medieval settlement which included several tofts and a possible higher status enclosure to the north of the church.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8578 9476|
|Parish:||STANFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Royal Commission of Historic Monuments notes of 1969-79 recorded a square embanked close around the church, other earthworks to the north, and a hollow way 146m (160yds) east of the church disappearing into the lake.
Ordnance Survey card says these appear on RAF aerial photographs because of unusual conditions, but not on any other air photographs. Some aerial photographs restricted (2 and 4 April 1984).
On ground they are almost invisible due to scrub since grown (confirmed by Unit survey of Battle Area when nothing seen here).
Village was mentioned in Domesday. Possibly the manor site mentioned by Bryant, but probably not (see NHER 5064-5).
Nothing on tithe maps.
The correct date for the RCHM visit is 10 February 1970 which recorded a rectangular close 50 yards square bounded by low banks each side of the church, with indeterminate earthworks to the north; 160 yards east of the church was a broad hollow way north-south running into the lake and reappearing on the north side.
(S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), March 2007.
January 2002. Visited during STANTA Woodland Rapid Identification Survey. Site 124. NGR Amended from TL 8580 9470.
Ditched enclosures near to Stanford Church, one a substantial U-shaped feature, 80m east-west with 10m wide ditches in woodland to north. It has a open south side and an open bank to the east, and is rather oddly aligned to the churchyard. The line of the northern ditch is noted as a much lesser feature to the east, forming a probable northern boundary of a complex of ditches extending into grassland. These are interpreted as remnants of medieval settlement earthworks, probably tofts with a possible higher status enclosure north of the church.
See report in file (NHER 37019-76).
B. Cushion (NLA) February 2002.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: RAF AP 58 5612 0166-7, NAU AP TL8594A,B,D-H,J,K. |
|---||Unpublished document: Cushion, B.. 2002. STANTA ILMP Woodland Earthwork Rapid Identification Survey. p39. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Taylor, C.. 1970. Site notes. |
Related records - none
Find out more...