|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval earthworks north of Church Lane|
The earthworks of a medieval hollow way and at least three medieval tofts, which are probably associated with other medieval settlement earthworks in the immediate area, see NHER 14583 and NHER 14107. Roman and medieval pottery and a piece of medieval window tracery have been found on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2025 9385|
|Parish:||LONG STRATTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|STRATTON ST MICHAEL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Hollow way and house platforms seen under plough.
Medieval sherds, mill stone and Roman sherds found.
See (S1) and (S2).
Medieval window tracery found.
See notes in file.
E. Rose (NAU) September 1990.
August 2004. Visit.
Earthworks faintly visible in stubble of recently harvested cereal crop.
Drilling by May Gurney taking place between pond and road (Stratton bypass?).
H. Paterson (A&E), 27 July 2004.
- SITE (Unknown date)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOFT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MILLSTONE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM 2093 G-J. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Addington, S. 1982. Landscape and Settlements in South Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVIII Pt II pp 97-139. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Cushion, B.. Earthwork survey. |
|14583||Related to: Earthworks of medieval manor, possibly the site of Sayes manor (Monument)|
|14107||Related to: Medieval earthworks (Monument)|
Find out more...