|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Old Podyke Bank, originally 12th century|
A bank, originally dating to the early 12th century, but much repaired and altered over the years. Today much of it has been levelled and cultivated, though some parts can still be seen.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5485 0528|
|Parish:||MARSHLAND ST. JAMES, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|OUTWELL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|STOW BARDOLPH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
'The Wall from Outwell House to Nordelph Carner along the north side of the Old Podyke was built by nuns, according to 16th century MS'; article in (S1).
(S2) notes that in 1422 the bank was considered dangerously weak and a New Podyke Bank was to be built. (Information from Ordnance Survey card). Was this on the same alignment? If not, where?
Note: The New Podyke Bank is said by informant  to be the same as the Well Creek Bank from Salters Lode to Outwell; see NHER 14418.
Did the original extend as far as Beaupre Hall?
E. Rose (NAU), 1977.
From TF 5440 0534 to TF 5543 0530 the bank is largely levelled.
Stands up to 1m above surrounding land but top shaved off to provide a strip of land which is cultivated.
From TF 5546 0533 to TF 5709 0596 it is in much better condition, although a linear strip may have been levelled for a track along the western end of this section.
From TF 5646 0577 in ownership of a member of the public who deliberately purchased it to preserve the bank. The remaining section is of unknown ownership. 
To east and west of above grid references bank has been completely levelled.
Its original date is early 12th century.
R. Silvester (NAU), 10 January 1983.
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). TF 5405B; TF 5505A,B,C,G; TF 5705A,B. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2003. [Letters to the editor on the history of Old Podyke Bank]. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Archive: Bolingbroke Collection. |
|<S2>||Publication: Parker and Dye. 1976. The Fenland. p.39. |
Related records - none
Find out more...