|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval brick kiln|
In 1970 waste fragments from a post medieval brick kiln, including green glazed bricks, were gathered from the surface of a field. Interestingly, a map of 1765 calls the field 'Bricklin'. This or a second kiln may be recorded as NHER 26726. Green glazed bricks have been found in a wall close by (NHER 11226).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6960 4335|
|Parish:||HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Brick kiln samples picked up from surface of field. ?Post-medieval. Held by Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 1970.183).
E. Rose (NCM).
KLM 6" record map has written on this field "…glazed brick wall showing on surface" (previously noted under NHER 11226.
Le Strange map of 1765 has this field (then much larger) named as Bricklin. Not so named on 1615 map. Suggests late 17th or early 18th century brick kiln.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 May 1983.
Described by  in letter to D. Gurney as a 'brick building of vitrified green glazed bricks about 1600 to 1700, perhaps a kiln'.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 December 1986.
See NHER 26726 for details of a potentially related area of reddish soil identified on aerial photographes.
M. Horlock (NLA), 11 December 2002.
- BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- KILN WASTE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: 1765. Hunstanton, Old Hunstanton and part of Ringstead - Enclosure Map ?1765 NRO LeStrange H 1/1. |
|11226||Related to: Mesolithic flint blade and multi-period pottery (Find Spot)|
|26726||Related to: Possible post medieval brick kiln; undated enclosure and ditches (Monument)|
Find out more...