|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Dial, Attleborough Road|
The Dial is a pillar erected as a memorial to a donation by Sir Edwin Rich, which allowed the construction of the road in 1695. It was one of the first three turnpikes to be authorised in Britain and the second to be built, predated only by the Great North Road. It used to be crowned by a sundial, though this no longer survives.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0807 9778|
|Parish:||WYMONDHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Stone Pillar inscribed 'This pillar was erected by order of the sessions of the peace of Norfolk as a grateful remembrance of the charity of /Sir Edwin Rich K/ who freely gave ye sum of two hundred pounds towards the repair of ye highway between Wymondham and Attleborough/AD 1675'.
Pillar is arranged on each side as two recessed panels above each other; the inscription is arranged, in the first panel as far as the stroke, then on the dividing bar (K standing for knight) then on the next panel, the date being on the base. It was erected when the road was built in 1695 (20 years after the donation) and was one of the first three turnpikes to be authorised in Britain and the second to be built, predated only by the Great North Road.
The pillar stands at the central part of the road.
(S2) has an illustration marking it as 1 foot square at base, 3 1/2ft (1.1m) high (both still correct) but with a 2ft (60cm) chamfered top bearing a sun dial. Latter dimension is a little exaggerated; the sun dial has gone but its socket remains and the top is now bound in iron.
The inscription was restored in 1888 but is already partly illegible again. When the Attleborough bypass is opened the Dial is to be moved slightly.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 28 October 1981.
Restored and reset on far side of road.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 21 May 1985.
Photograph and newspaper cuttings (S3) and (S4) in file.
For detailed discussion of the relationship between the grant and the turnpike act, and the placing of the monument (Martin's note is in fact of 1722) see (S5).
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 4 March 1993.
See history of turnpike in NIAS records (S6)
According to 1st. Ed. O.S. the original position of the Dial was TM 08209 97899.
W. Arnold HES 17/01/11
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Post Medieval to Modern - 1695 AD? to 2050 AD)
- SUNDIAL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1695 AD? to 2050 AD)
- INSCRIBED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Photograph of The Dial, Attleborough Road, Wymondham. Black & white. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Article in serial: Cossons, A. 1952. The Turnpike Roads of Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 189-219. p 199. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: Martin, T.. c.1730. Church Notes. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: 1987. Eastern Daily Press. 8 June. |
|<S5>||Article in serial: Morley, G.. 1992. The London Road.. NIAS Journal. Vol 5, no 2. |
Related records - none
Find out more...