|Type of record:||Building|
This was originally the site of a farm belonging to Walsingham Priory, noted in records of 1318.The present building is T shaped,and two storeys high with an attic.
When inspected, it was thought likely that the building was of 16th/17th century date and timber framed; however, 19th century refacing has concealed most evidence of this.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2855 9339|
|Parish:||BEDINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
October 1985. Visited.
Wrongly marked on 1838 OS as "priory" (antiquity), in fact recorded in 1318 as farm belonging to Little Walsingham priory.
Present building part modernised, part disused.
Most evidence concealed, but possibly main wing is medieval building timber-framed, open hall?
In late 16th/early 17th century (inventory exists for 1595) extended with crosswing and porch, hall floored over and stack inserted? Crosswing timber framed with brick stack gable. Former open "harvest room" at west end. 19th century refacing of part in brick and part rebuilding.
See(S2) in file. (S3).
E.Rose (NAU) 3 October 1985.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SITE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM 2893A,B-D. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1928. The Old Cottages and Farm-houses of Norfolk. p 17. |
|<S2>||Unpublished document: E. Rose. 1985. Building Report.. |
|<S3>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...