|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Didlington deserted medieval village|
The site of Didlington deserted medieval village. House sites are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book, but declined in the 17th century due to the lord of the manor buying up the land. A scatter of Roman pottery fragments found in 1980 show the area as one of early settlement.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 776 970|
|Parish:||DIDLINGTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Fields west of parish church, formerly parkland.
Cropmarks of Deserted Medieval Village, showing clear house sites divided by roads, running approximately north to south.
Checked by E. Rose (NAU) 1 November 1976.
This village was mentioned in (S1) and in (S2). It had 34 taxpayers in 1334.
(S3) records only three or four farmhouses.
Eastern part of cropmark site. Found on surface of ploughed field..
Scatter of Roman coarse pottery.
Seen by A. Gregory (NAU) 18 April 1980.
A. Gregory (NAU) 21 April 1980.
See report in file for 4821 by  which gives full documentary references to the village showing its decline in the 17th century due to the buying up of land by the lord of the manor.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL 7796A,B, TL 7797A, TL 7897A. |
|<S1>||Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Nomina Villarum.. |
|<S3>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805-1810. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Unknown - USE SPECIFIC VOLUME WHERE KNOWN. |
|<S4>||Serial: Davison, A.. 1994. Didlington.. The Annual. No 3, p 17. |
Related records - none
Find out more...