|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Andrew's Church, Ormesby St Margaret with Scratby|
This is the site of the medieval parish church of St Andrew which was in use until the late 16th century. The foundations of the church were discovered in 1927, but there are no visible remains on the site.
Images - none
Substantial foundations uncovered in a garden (date?).
Called a monastery at the time, but C. Green (NCM) suggested it was the site of St Andrew's church, which was extant in 1107, still in use 1591 but ruined by 1775.  in 1936 implied that the foundations were still visible, but did not say where.
Information from (S1).
's statement is probably due to a reference in 1929 to the church standing in the field opposite Manor Farm. This is in fact probably a confusion with the 'church-like vault' on site NHER 21501, see (S2).
E. Rose (NLA) 8 January 1996.
Appropriate section from (S3) in file which states that the foundations were found in 1927, and that in 1986 they were still visible as a mound, which may explain (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 20 June 2000.
For a cemetery probably associated with St Andrew's church see NHER 31773.
This casts doubt upon this as the location of the church.
D. Gurney (NLA), 31 July 2008.
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MONASTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 41 NE 7 . |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: 1995. The Ruined Churches of Flegg.. Yarmouth Archaeology. p 21. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 199; p 54. |
|<S4>||Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1931. The Ruined Churches of Norfolk. |
Related records - none
Find out more...