|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Swannington Manor, The Street|
Swannington Manor has been formerly known as Swannington Court, and before that The Lawns. It is a two storey brick house of six bays, thought to date to around 1700 with some 16th century brick fragment from an earlier building. It passed to the Bartells around 1810 and was restored by Edmund Bartell before 1855. In the upper windows there is much stained glass, some foreign, some dating to the 15th century and said to be from Heydon church. Inside the house there are a number of pieces of carved woodwork dating to the 16th to 18th century, including a Renaissance carving.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1312 1931|
|Parish:||SWANNINGTON, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Formerly Swannington Court, and before that The Lawns as on Ordnance Survey map.
House of six bays, two storeys and (later?) dormers. Brick with rusticated quoins and shaped gables, both features also on small single-storey porch. Shaped gable also at rear. Wooden-cross windows. Late 17th century. In upper windows much stained glass, some foreign, some 15th century said to be from Heydon church. In house carved woodwork 16th-18th century including Renaissance carving - stall end? Used as chimneypiece - with initials of William Rogers, Mayor of Norwich 1540s. Excellent condition.
It should be noted that this house is not shown on (S2), showing that that is unreliable for individual houses, even large ones.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 14 June 1978.
Listed 1983 Grade II (S1) as around 1700; with 16th century brick fragments of earlier building, restored by Edmund Bartell pre 1855. Rear wing has in fact five curved gables. Central rear projection 19th century but contains 16th century work. Later north wing burnt out and restored around 1960, has 16th century brickwork and flint plinth, but mainly 18th century.
Information from (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 25 October 1985.
Does Bryant's statement that 'Swannington Manor was demolished in 1850' refer to the alterations to this building, or to Manor Farm to the south - once a mansion in its own right (NHER 21866)?
A barn here is dated 1744, see (S3) in file.
(S4) and other details in file.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 7 September 1987.
September 2006. Visit to examine internal wall stripped in advance of new doorway.
This is in the room to the right of the principal entrance, the rear wall now dividing off the back pile, to the right of the stack. The exposed brickwork is in Flemish bond with diagonal skintlings and fits a date of around 1700 rather than 16th century. No other observations of the building were possible except that it was noted the griffins under the eaves noted in the Listing are clearly based on what (S1) calls 'stall end in form of a bird' at the foot of the stairs.
E. Rose (NLA), 12 September 2006.
- BARN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
- STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. & Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1989. Romantic garden estate on market. 1 September. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Swannington. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: 5 September . Eastern Daily Press. 1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...