Record Details

NHER Number:1040
Type of record:Monument
Name:Colveston deserted medieval settlement, Didlington


The site of Colveston deserted village. The old parish church has been in ruins since the 17th century, and today forms an overgrown mound in the middle of an arable field. The houses had gone by the early 18th century, with the exception of the farmhouse. Metal detecting has recovered Iron Age, Roman and medieval objects. Fieldwalking has recovered Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery fragments, together with fragments of medieval window glass

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 79 95
Map Sheet:TL79NE

Full description

Colveston deserted medieval village. A vill in (S1), and in (S2) (1316).
At ngr (see Notes) a few probable Roman sherds and flint flakes (see Notes).
At ngr (see Notes) pot 14th to 17th century
Church; slight traces of wall foundations, ploughing goes up to structure on all sides = 1040/c1 at ngr (see Notes)
A. Rogerson (NAU).

February 1974.
The church has been in ruins since the 17th century. The last house in the village had gone by 1738. Thetford type ware also found by A. Rogerson (NAU). (S3) noted the font in the garden of a farm with a well in 1730.
E. Rose (NAU).

Church foundations listed. (S4).
E. Rose (NAU).

1332 Lay Subsidy eleven taxpayers, 1377 to 81 Poll Tax combined with Ickburgh, 1352 to 54 Black Death relief not granted.
1428 ten householders, 1449 tax relief 9% of 1334 assessment.
1738 'there is nothing now remaining of this old village, but the aforesaid Manor House and farmhouse adjoining'.
OS air photos (S5) show what may be ploughed over strip development in this area now under crop.
Information from OS records
R. J. Rickett (NAU), 10 April 1990

1991. Metal detecting.
Iron Age, Roman and other coins, 15th century strap fitting
See file for list and details.
D. Gurney (NLA), 19 December 1991

Unit aerial photographs show possible enclosures between church and wood to southwest.

Appropriate section from (S7) in file.

March 2003. Surface collection.
Medieval and post medieval sherds.
Medieval roofing tile.
Post medieval brick and window glass.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 13 June 2003.

Before 19 April 2004. Fieldwalking.
Further medieval and post medieval sherds. medieval or post medieval roof tile, floor tile and brick.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 9 September 2004.

Monument Types

  • WELL (Unknown date)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RECTANGULAR ENCLOSURE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • COIN (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR TILE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW GLASS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: POL33-35.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1962. A lost village in his garden.. 10 July.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Publication: Brown, P (ed.). 1984. Domesday Book: Norfolk. Parts 1 and 2.
<S2>Monograph: Nomina Villarum..
<S3>Unpublished document: Martin, T.. c.1730. Church Notes..
<S4>Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
<S5>Aerial Photograph: TL7995 A,F-H,K,L-P,Y-Z; St.Joseph PL41-45.
<S6>Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1971. OS 71387 246-247.
<S7>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service