|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Moat at Laurels Farm|
A complex series of moats and ponds, probably from the sites of previous buildings. Some of the ponds may have been fishponds. The moats are partly water filled, but other parts are only shallow features, or have been ploughed out.
The farmhouse on the site is 19th century, but encloses part of an earlier 14th or 15th century building (see NHER 19284).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2906 9301|
|Parish:||BEDINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
The north and east arms of the moat are wide and waterfilled, but not as irregular as shown on 1839 tithe map. The south arm is narrower, waterfilled but more like a field ditch.
The tithe map and current OS 6" map shows ponds that might indicate remains of the north-west corner and west side, but these have now been ploughed out for a beet field - some undulations survive.
The present north arm stops dead as shown on tithe map; there is no trace of a continuation. From its end a field boundary runs south to south arm. Off east arm is a rectangular waterfilled "dock" with very narrow opening to moat, now silted up, cut into central island.
This is shown as more irregular on tithe map. Off south arm two similar but dry "docks" open and there is even a trace of one off the field boundary on west (shown as waterfilled on tithe map and even on 6" OS). Though it is just possible these are fishponds, they may be flax retting pits (see that at Hempnall).
The tithe map also marks a large pond outside the south arm and connected to it; though not on OS, this had reappeared when site visited in 1981 and seems just to be a natural hollow that fills in wet weather.
's plan of October 1973 shows a dry gulley apparently indeed forming the west and north-west arms with the aforementioned ponds; and other channels possibly forming another enclosure on east - these have all been ploughed out, though the main island is pasture.
There is also a short arm running north from the north arm alongside the house garden, waterfilled, on tithe map but not on OS.
The farmhouse is Victorian and replaces a smaller one shown on tithe map, but some large beams inside may be reused from this - or from the Hall? (only seen very briefly). See 10201.
E. Rose (NAU) 3 December 1981.
In fact the farm house (site 19284) encases a 14th/15th century hall house - this is the rear wing, the main block being of 1860. It is just outside the moat's north-east corner therefore and the relationship is not clear.
E.Rose (NAU) 4 April 1985.
North and East arms water filled, about 4-8 metres wide. South arm remains narrow as described previously resembling a field ditch.
H. Paterson (A&E), 3 July 2000.
- DOCK (Undated)
- FISHPOND (Undated)
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Retting Pit (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Bedingham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...