|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Mary's Church, Little Wacton|
This is the site of the parish church of Little Wacton. It became a chapel in 1500, fell into disrepair in 1510 but was in use again in 1522 when the tower was used as a dovecote. In 1976 and 1978 a number of Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery sherds were recovered from the site. In 1981 a fragment of Caen stone was found here, presumably a remnant of the church.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1743 9169|
|Parish:||WACTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Became a chapel, 1500; decayed 1510; in use 1522; tower made into dovecote. Ordnance Survey claim village stood around hall 0.5 miles south (see NHER 10063).
1976 and 1978.
 found glazed tiles here - Flemish, see list in file (Context 1).
Also Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval sherds.
Finds held by NCM.
2 October 1979. Visited by E. Rose (NAU).
Site is a ploughed field.
Caen stone fragment found.
'The church of Wacton Parva is demolished' - 1655 Ecclesiastical records of Commonwealth.
Information from Lambeth Palace COMM XIIc Vol 2-3 via member of the public .
E. Rose (NAU) 7 August 1986.
19 June 1988. Surface finds.
Flemish medieval floor tiles.
Two yellow, glaze over slip; two green glaze; two uncertain also shelly limestone fragment.
Finds held by NCM.
Identifications by A. Rogerson (NAU) June 1988.
A. Rogerson (NAU) June 1988.
Appropriate section from reference (S1) in file.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1500 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to Modern - 1500 AD to 2050 AD)
- DOVECOTE (Medieval to Modern - 1522 AD to 2050 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Undated)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FLOOR TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Wacton. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 245; p 55. |
|10063||Related to: Wacton Hall and possible site of Little Wacton deserted medieval village (Building)|
Find out more...