|Type of record:||Building|
This house appears to be a typical 17th century Norfolk farmhouse with a central chimneystack. It once had a clay lump extension but this was demolished. The pond to the southwest may be part of an older, medieval, moat. Blomefield also notes the story of a chapel existing here but there is little evidence to substantiate this. Finds of Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery, one Roman coin, one post medieval coin and medieval metalwork have been made in the garden.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1291 9067|
|Parish:||TIBENHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Marked as antiquity by Ordnance Survey, but listed as being 18th century. Source . Not yet visited.
Finds of Late Saxon, medieval and post medieval pottery, and medieval metalwork, in garden and field north of house, probably extending up to house and said to occur in clay lump footings also.
See list in file.
Information from A. Gregory (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU) 16 July 1984.
House appears to be 'typical 17th century Norfolk farmhouse' with central chimneystack. Had porch with niche and stepped gable, demolished but to be rebuilt with original materials. Clay lump extension demolished.
Information from .
E. Rose (NAU) 19 July 1984.
See survey in file by  and  (very brief) in which they conclude house is 17th century and later with reused timbers and suggest pond to southwest may be part of older moat.
(S1) notes a story of a chapel here but is sceptical.
17th century barn.
Before March 26 2007. Metal detecting, service trench spoil.
1 Roman and 1 post medieval coin.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 18 May 2007.
Casual finds on builders' spoil heap, fieldwalking and metal detecting in garden 2006.
Post medieval sherds and lava quern fragment, medieval and post medieval metal objects.
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 4 October 2007.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- QUERN (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- EWER (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HORSESHOE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Thesis: Rhodes, J.A.. 2005. Linguistic and Late Saxon Metalwork Evidence from Norfolk, Scandinavian Ethnicity or Viking Influence?. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Tibenham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CNC 37 (pommel), CND 1-8. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1806. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol V. p 278. |
Related records - none
Find out more...