|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Walstan's Well|
St Walstan's Well was a medieval holy well. It is traditionally thought to be where St Walstan's hearse was stopped for the second time. It dried up after 1750 and in 1978 it survived as a deep circular pit filled. A few lumps of flint wall were seen laying at its base.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1534 1141|
|Parish:||COSTESSEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
In legend the second stopping place of Walstan's hearse.
Medieval holy well. Dried up after 1750. According to (S1) last seen in 1952, not found 1962.
April 1978. Visit.
Well survives as a deep circular pit filled with fallen trees, about 4m in diameter; a few lumps of flint walling at bottom.
E. Rose (NAU).
Location revised based on Ordnance Survey second edition 25 inch to the mile map (S2).
J.Albone (HES), 04 October 2013
Works taking place in the area to extend the golf course.
A silver birch tree on the edge of the hollow has been removed and in taking up its roots quite a lot of loose flints were exposed. Nothing “solid”. The depression is still there, and the plan is to fence it off and erect a plaque about St Walstan and the well.
D. Gurney (HES), 09 January 2015.
- HOLY WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. |
|<S2>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey 25" 2nd edition (1902-7). |
Related records - none
Find out more...