|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Little Hautbois Hall|
A late 16th century country house, much in the Elizabethan style, of brick and some flint. It is two storeys high with pinnacled dormers and mullioned windows. A low kitchen wing was added on the south end in the early 17th century, and a large extension to the west (probably) in the 18th century. This was demolished in a late 19th century restoration to return the building more to its original form. The east porch was added at this time, although it bears a date of 1555. The interior is unusual, and includes a possibly re-used staircase of solid baulk treads.
Images - none
November 2004. Visit.
Remarkable building. Bears Victorian date of 1555 on 19th century porch but source of this not known; however, exterior of main block is of Elizabethan appearance. Original porch moved to rear. Interior is of very strange plan with reused medieval stairs set in staircase between two one sided chimneys; vance floor above attic supported on giant knee braces. Yet interior detailing is more 17th than 16th. Attached later kitchen wing may be associated with date of 1607 on a garden wall; was building uncompleted until this date, or suffer a fire? Kitchen wing also has the kneebraces. Building passed to Norwich city fathers in 1700 and the vance may have been removed and the roofs reformed at this time. Large late extensions shown in paintings of about 1840 removed during a later 19th century restoration.
See (S1),(S2) and (S3) in file.
See also (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 9 November 2004.
Further visit brought about suggestion that kitchen wing may stand on site of earlier hall to which main building was added.
See appendix to (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 26 November 2004.
April 2005. Building recording.
Photographs and plans recorded while the building was undergoing extensive structural repairs to the kitchen wing and various repairs elsewhere.
See (S2) and (S3).
J. Allen (NLA), 1 June 2007.
August 2013. Inspection
Undergoing new works which include the removal of modern wall in kitchen and the possible re-opening of kichen great hearth and re-introduction of the original porch entrance. See illustrated report (S5) and (S6) for Willins' engravings.
S.Heywood (HES), 4 September 2013.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 2002. Eastern Daily Press. July 12. |
|---||Serial: Pevsner, N.. Buildings of England: Norfolk.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Buxton with Lammas. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2004. Building Report.. |
|<S2>||Photograph: Unknown. 2004. Building Photograph. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Brennan, R.. 2006. Little Hautbois Hall, Buxton with Lammas, Norfolk. Historic Building Record.. |
|<S3>||Graphic Material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Brennan, R.. 2007. Little Hautbois Hall, Buxton with Lammas, Norfolk. Historic Building Record. Addendum.. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2005. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 2004. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt IV pp 751-763. p 752. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S.. 2013. porch and kitchen of Little Hautbois Hall. |
|<S6>||Publication: Willins, E.P. (ed. By Thos. Garratt). 1890. Some Old Halls and Manor Houses in the County of Norfolk.. Pl 28. |
Related records - none
Find out more...