|Type of record:||Building|
A late 17th century and later hall of red brick, partly limewashed. It is two storeys high with attics, and has a pantiled roof. The façade has eight window bays. A porch and north wing were added in the 19th century. A coach house in the grounds has been dated to 1675, and had a possibly 14th century plaque in its walls. This was reportedly removed in 1978, but is now understood to have been returned to the hall's owners.
Images - none
May 1978. Visit.
Late 17th century yellow-brick house of 8 bays, 3 storeys including dormers, with string course between floors. Shaped gables in red brick, also on projecting central porch, which itself has a projecting box-like doorway all of red brick except for some yellow brick in north side. The house has a north extension in yellow brick beyond the shaped north gable. Probably indicates various alterations in early 18th century, but gables are unusually late in that case.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 May 1978.
(S1) states that the 'yellow brickwork' is in fact simply limewash covering part of the red brick. It dates the whole building to the late 17th century except for the porch and north wing which are 19th century.
E. Rose (NLA), 15 August 2000.
According to Bridewell Museum the coach house has a date of 1675.
E. Rose (NLA).
Plaque of a 'sheela-na-gig' removed from coach house 1978 - from church?
Information from Bridewell Museum.
E. Rose (NLA).
This information was from M. Day (NCM) who said he was going to submit the object to the British Museum but did not, and dated it himself to the 17th century. It has now been returned to the owners who are going to build it into the house.
E. Rose (NLA)
Mr Jarmyn of Leicester University dates it as an obscene male figure, possibly14th century, falsified as female in 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU) 17 August 1981.
See details in file. (S2) in file.
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLAQUE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in serial: Jerman, J. A. 1982. An Exhibitionist Carving from Lammas Norfolk. CBA Group VI Bulletin. No 27 pp 13-16. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Buxton-with-Lammas. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...