Record Details

NHER Number:1854
Type of record:Monument
Name:Fiddler's Hill Bronze Age round barrow, Warham

Summary

The earthworks of Fiddler's Hill Bronze Age round barrow are still visible today. They now form part of a public picnic area, though the construction of the nearby road and the movement of soil may have altered the original shape and dimensions of the barrow. This occurred in 1933, when the north edge of the barrow was removed and three skeletons including that of a girl and a dog were found.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9613 4105
Map Sheet:TF94SE
Parish:BINHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
WARHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 1933. In road widening at Fiddlers Hill.
North edge of barrow was removed, three skeletons including that of a girl and a dog were found. Tree covered. Black band visible with potboilers and charcoal in 1.8m (6 feet) from surface of barrow in centre of exposed face and 50cm (20 inches) above present exterior ground level.
Visited by R. R. Clarke (NCM) and A. Q. Watson 30 August 1934.

Marked on (S1). Barrow marked by W. G. Clarke but perhaps he referred to Warborough Hill, Stiffkey.

Cut by road on northwest. 34m diameter, 1.2m high. Covered with trees and bushes.
A. Lawson (NAU), 23 January 1976.

In legend marks spot where fiddler and dog, proceeding along tunnel from Blakeney Guildhall to Binham Priory, ceased to make sound heard on surface. Same legend is found throughout Britain and even in Hebrides
E. Rose (NAU).

See file for schedule and press cuttings.

March 1985. No change except more like 2m high than 1m as published.
J. Wymer (NAU).

Site now part of public picnic area, under excellent short turf, with scrub removed, leaving a fringe of trees along road side. No erosion scars. Information board in situ adjacent to small gravel car park.
H. Paterson (NLA), November 1992.

October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
Site of large barrow not mapped during NMP as completely obscured by tree coverage. Also road building has heavily disturbed the site so will not reflect the original size and shape of the monument.
S. Massey (NMP), 14 October 2002.

January 2008.
The information board was still in place in July 2007, but it has since been removed.
D. Robertson (NLA), 22 January 2008.

Articles - 15 April,23 June 1933, missing from file [J. Yates, 30 July 2010].

July 2011.
Ownership transferred from Norfolk County Council to the Norfolk Archaeological Trust.
D. Gurney (HES), 18 July 2014.

September 2011.
Section 17 agreement set up.
See (S4).
D. Robertson (HES), 28 September 2011.

Spring 2014.
Geophysical survey by the University of Reading. Report awaited.
A strong anomaly within the barrow might be a burial, and the ditch around the mound was very clear.
D. Gurney (HES), 18 July 2014.

Monument Types

  • INHUMATION (Unknown date)
  • HEARTH (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
  • ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
  • HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: MF4-5, CYC 6.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Fiddler's Hill (letter to the editor). 11 February.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Tunnel tales (letter to the editor). 8 February.
---Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2011-2012. Norfolk Monuments Management Project Section 17 agreement.
---Leaflet: Shaw, J.M. (NCC). 1990. Fiddler's Hill Bronze Age Barrow Picnic Site.. Norfolk County Council.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. New lease of life for Bronze Age landmark. 18 February.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Warham (all saints).
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Norwich Mercury. [unknown]. [unknown]. 15 April.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Norfolk Chronicle. 1933. [unknown]. 23 June.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1987. Picnic barrow. 26 February.

Related records

11283Related to: Possible Bronze Age round barrow, west of Fiddlers Hill (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2017 Norfolk Historic Environment Service