Record Details

NHER Number:1104
Type of record:Monument
Name:Godwick deserted medieval settlement, Tittleshall

Summary

The remains of this deserted settlement site are well preserved, as the area has a long history of being used as pasture and has avoided the dangers of deep ploughing. The site includes a long sunken street which is the main thoroughfare, and a number of enclosures to each side. Each of these would have contained a medieval dwelling. The only damage to the site has come from post medieval clay extraction and the imposition of gardens around Godwick Hall (NHER 1103) in the post medieval period. The church tower that can be seen today is likely a 17th century rebuild of the 13th century church, which is known to have had lost its tower and been 'wholly ruined' by 1602. The settlement of Godwick is listed in the Domesday Book and is thought to have been stable in the 12th to 15th century, and declined in the 16th century, perhaps due to the very heavy clay soils at this site.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 903 219
Map Sheet:TF92SW
Parish:TITTLESHALL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Deserted Medieval Settlement including ruined church tower.
Condition: earthworks very good under pasture, but turf stripping outside scheduled area. Tower collapsed May 1981 leaving only parts of two walls standing. Farm covers part of site; early concrete buildings of 1883 (grade II).
For full details see report in file.
See also (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 28 May 1981.

Schedule, plans, photos in file.

August 1998.
Earthwork survey at 1:1000 and report in file, extends site to north and south and has added some features within site, including a likely main entrance to the hall.
See report (S9) for details and plan. Work noted in (S10).
B. Cushion (NLA), 22 September 1998.

Section 17 Management Agreement signed 6 September 1993 for 5 years.
See copy in office file.
H. Paterson (A&E), 14 September 1999.

See (S2).

22 July 1993. NLA aerial photography.
Some earthworks visible and possible cropmark of enclosure (rectangular) to northwest of site of church.
M. Brennand (NLA), 7 February 2001.

12 July 1994. NLA aerial photography.
Part or most of the site is visible in each photograph; the earthworks are quite clear.
H. Clare (NLA), 22 February 2001.

2002.
Old tree split and fallen, no uprooting, some wheel marks on grass due to removal of branches. Fence removal around ruined church tower. New information boards erected under stewardship agreement. Old English Heritage boards in poor condition with some wrong captions.
H. Paterson (A&E), 21 June 2002.

Autumn 2002.
Surface find at junction of side track with the main hollow way, well to east of church, at approx. TF 9026 2203:
Medieval one body sherd unglazed (weighing 2g).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 13 January 2003.

Autumn 2002. Fieldwalking Survey.
General scarcity of worked flint, only 29 were discovered, mostly in the extreme north of the site. One probable Iron Age sherd was recovered. Roman pottery was found on eleven fields (including NHER 7109). Tesserae and iron slag were recovered, and there were signs of a furnace. Thirteen sherds of Saxon pottery was recovered, along with Medieval and post medieval sherds.
See report (S3) and published article (S4) for further details. Work also noted in (S8).
H. White (NLA), 28 May 2009.

June and August 2004. Visits.
Good grass cover, sheep grazing continues. Information panels erected some 20 years ago suffering deterioration and vandalism with one photograph cut out. Photographs taken of damage for English Heritage. Possible replacement/refurbishment to be discussed.
H. Paterson (A&E), 1 September 2004.

July 2007.
Section 17 management agreement signed. See (S5).
D. Robertson (NLA), 17 October 2007.

Casual find 18 June 2007.
Medieval pot sherd.
See file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 22 June 2007.

April 2008. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks for associated with installation of interpretation panels. Two small slots were excavated by hand for the erection of two new information panels. Five fragments of medieval pottery were recovered, along with a single fragment of post-medieval brick. In the second slot a large blue/grey stone was discovered which may have been roughly shaped for use in building. It was left in position.
See (S6) for more information.
H. White (NLA), 4 November 2008.

September 2009.
Scheduled monument consent granted concerning the refurbishment of a low voltage network.
See (S7) for further details.
H. White (NLA), 11 November 2009.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT? (Unknown date)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Management Statement
  • Listed Building
  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF 9022A, AN-AY, ABY, ABZ, ACJ-ACR, ACT, ADE-ADJ; TF 9021B-M.
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF 9022ACZ - ADD; TF 9021N - R.
---Monograph: Cushion, B. and Davison, A. 2003. Earthworks of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 104. p 38.
---Photograph: NAU Archaeology. 2008. MVP.
---Leaflet: All Saint's Church, Godwick..
---Photograph: 1990. Godwick Church. Print.
---Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1991. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1990. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt II pp 240-246. p 245.
---Article in Serial: Wade-Martins, P. and Wade, K. 1967. Some Deserted Villages in Norfolk: Notes for Visitors. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 17 pp 2-8. p 6.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists.
---Slide: Various. Slide. 1-13.
---Photograph: CTA18-19,CUE29-30,BVU,CBH24-28,FFP34-38.
<S1>Article in Monograph: Wade-Martins, P., Fenner, G. and Knight, J. 1982. Some Deserted Village Sites in Norfolk: IV. Godwick. Trowse, Horning, Deserted Medieval Villages. East Anglian Arch. No 14. pp 59-67. p 59.
<S2>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. p 136.
<S3>Unpublished Report: Davison, A. 2004. Godwick: A Fieldwalking Survey.
<S4>Article in Serial: Davison, A. and Rogerson, A. 2007. Investigations at Godwick and Beeston St. Andrew. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLV Pt II pp 141-154.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2007-2008. Section 17 Management Agreement.
<S6>Unpublished Contractor Report: Crawley, P. 2008. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Godwick Deserted Medieval Village. NAU Archaeology. 1542.
<S7>Scheduling Record: DCMS. 2009. Scheduled Monument Consent.
<S8>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2003. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2002. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt II pp 368-384. p 383.
<S9>Unpublished Report: Cushion, B. Tittleshall (Godwick). Earthwork Survey Report.
<S10>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 1999. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 369-387. p 384.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service