|Type of record:||Building|
Tacolneston Hall is a Handsome Queen Anne house with later additions, originally put up for Edmund Knipe around 1700. On the outside the building is red brick, with eleven bays, refaced in 1720 and extended in the 19th century. In 2000 a watching brief uncovered the remains of a late medieval predecessor to the existing hall, and the foundations of a demolished 19th century extension. To the south of the current house is a medieval moat (NHER 32307), but it is unclear how this relates to the present building. Also assocaited with this site is the Park, listed seperately under (NHER 32307).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1382 9550|
|Parish:||TACOLNESTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Former courtyard house; north wing, now demolished, was probably the oldest part. Present hall has 16th century core, wings added 17th century. Moat seems to relate to this house but is partly 19th century and the site is said not to be manorial before the 18th century.
In about 1720 the building was refaced; it was extended in Jacobean style in the 19th century. Some of these extensions, and the north wing, were removed in the 1950s.
See report (S1) in file, also report under NHER 32307 for the park and moat.
Plans of coach house (S2) in file; press cuttings (S3)-(S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 March 1999.
1 June 2000. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks for extension.
Revealed the late medieval predecessor to the existing hall and the foundations of a demolished 19th century extension.
See report (S5) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S8).
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2018.266).
D. Gurney (NLA), 18 August 2000. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 15 April 2019.
February 2008. Building Survey.
The original building was a tripartite one and a half storey house with possible cross passage of the sixteenth century, to which two cross-wings were added around 1600. A brick façade was added circa 1710, when a corridor was also addded.
See (S6) and (S7) for details,
H. White, (NLA), 12 November 2009
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COACH HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MOAT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATER TOWER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. p 202. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: TM1398 A-C; TM1395 F-K. |
|---||Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk. Vols 1-19. Vols 1-19.. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 19 NW 11. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Illustration: Booth, M.. 1781?. Tacolnestone Hall: The Seat of Knipe Gobber, Esq. |
|---||Serial: 1819. Excursions through Norfolk. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 691. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Tacolneston. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1999. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. [Sale advertisement for Tacolneston Hall]. 5 July. |
|<S4>||Newspaper Article: The Daily Telegraph. 1992. [Article on the sale of Tacolneston Hall]. 18 May. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Meckseper, C. 2000. Report on an Archaeological Watching Brief at Tacolneston Hall. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 511. |
|<S6>||Monograph: Longcroft, A., Brown, S. & Forrest, R.. 2009. The Tacolneston Project: A study of historic buildings in the Claylands of South Norfolk.. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 4. pp 62-65. |
|<S7>||Unpublished Document: Brown, M, Brown, S, Mackie, K and Forrest, R. 2009. NHBG report. Building survey of Tacolneston Hall.. |
|<S8>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2001. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2000. Norfolk Archaeology. XLIII Pt IV pp 707-728. p 726. |
|32307||Parent of: Tacolneston Park (Monument)|
Find out more...