Record Details

NHER Number:9920
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary's Church, Arminghall, Bixley

Summary

A medieval church, little of which is now visible following an almost complete rebuild in 1876, when the south porch was added. The west tower is probably 13th century originally, but much restored. The nave and chancel were originally thatched. Inside, there are medieval and 17th century memorial slabs. The font is 17th century, and has graffiti. The bell is dated 1615.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2523 0431
Map Sheet:TG20SE
Parish:ARMINGHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK
BIXLEY, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

October 1976. Visit.
Much restored 1876 when south porch added. Nave and chancel in one, formerly thatched. Original structure Early English; four lancets in north wall, one in chancel south wall cut in two to form a low side-window, one very small in nave south wall, possibly to match small top section of former?
East window Perpendicular, northeast nave window Decorated; southeast nave window early Perpendicular but all renewed. Southwest nave window 1876, and also double lancet in chancel southeast window fit awkwardly into the earlier surround, containing sedilia, with piscina beside. Aumbry in nave north wall. Blocked north door with piscina. Decorated tower, with Decorated bell openings, broad lancet below and Y tracery west window, but probably all of one build. Much tile in join with nave. Medieval tomb slab recorded by Bryant by north door now covered over; another 17th century slab is now removed to churchyard. Two high quality 17th century floor tombs in sanctuary. Font octagonal, unusual; 17th century? With graffiti.
Bell 1615. Old poppyhead choir stalls; nave benches 1876 by Seddon. Monument 1661. 19th century unusual roof, with single kingpost resting on wooden chancel arch. Chalice, Norwich 1567; paten 1570. Formerly a 16th century St.Christopher wallpainting, now destroyed. (S2) in file.
E.Rose (NAU) 26 October 1977.

1993. Visit.
S.Ashley (NLA) notes two tomb slabs (presumably including the one mentioned above) removed to exterior when organ replaced, also two cartouches now leaning against porch, one broken.
E.Rose (NLA) 19th April 1993.

(S1) in file.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2504 Y,AJ,AK.
---Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Newspaper Article: 1988. Eastern Daily Press.
<S2>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1977. Building Report..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service