Record Details

NHER Number:9584
Type of record:Monument
Name:Multi-period features

Summary

Excavations here in 1949 uncovered a medieval house dated to around 1500. Aerial photographs have cropmarks of linear features. Later excavation on the same site identified Neolithic and Early Saxon pits, and medieval and post medieval ditches. Fieldwalking and metal detecting in advance of the Norwich southern bypass recovered Late Saxon fragments of pottery and Roman and medieval metal finds.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23 05
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:CAISTOR ST EDMUND, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Some of the cropmarks now recorded as part of NHER 52326 and 53475 may have been included in those described below.

1881-2. Ordnance Survey Parish Survey.
Ordnance Survey staff identified a fragment of mansonry northwest of The Carr during their parish survey in prepration for the first 6 inch to one mile OS map (S10). R. R. Clarke (S1) later described these remains as a rectangular structure which is thought to extend east and west, ending in a hexagonal bay on the east. The east wall of the bay was faced with flint with brick quoins and stood approximately 3 feet high and was 8 feet long. The thickness of the wall could not be determined as it had been disturbed by an ash tree. The south wall was 7 feet 6 inches long and 1 foot 6 inches thick while the north wall was only indicated by rubble on the surface.The southeast face of the 'bay' was 4 feet long and the east face at the end of the south wall was 2 feet 2 inches long. The western extent of the building could not be determined.
As these were the only above ground ruins identified during the survey, they were identified with the ruins of the parish church (see NHER 9795).
See (S5) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 03 June 2009.

1906.
Rev. H. J. D. Astley, at the instigation of Walter Rye, asserted that the ruins at The Carr were the remains of a Roman quay (S8). He suggested that Markshall church (see NHER 9795) was located on the gravel bluff 370 yards to the north, but R. R. Clarke (S5) later noted that no traces of a building were found at this location.
See (S5) and (S8) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 03 June 2009.

July/August 1949. Excavation.
Excavation by G. Larwood for Norfolk Research Committee of late medieval farmhouse.
Around 1500 AD. Building 14m (47 feet) by 5m (17 feet 6 inches) of flint and bricks running east to west. Two rooms, hearth with millstones. Reused Roman material. To north of main building are outbuildings included half timbered open fronted building, small room and ?well. Small finds included a few fragments of Roman pottery and 15th/16th century sherds. Also bricks, plaster, glass, animal bones.
See (S1), (S2), (S3), (S4) and (S5).
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

1956/1957. St. Joseph aerial photographs.
Possible traces of medieval village.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

14 June 1974 to 2 July 1974. NAU aerial photographs.
Cropmarks of linear features.
D. A. Edwards (NAU), 29 January 1980.

Wrongly marked as site of Markshall Church on (S6).

6 March 1991. Specification / brief for this site issued by Norfolk Landscape Archaeology. This was the second brief to be prepared after the implementation in Norfolk of Planning Policy Guidance Note 16.
D. Gurney (HES), 12 May 2014.

1991. Part excavation by NAU.
Showed identification as deserted village probably wrong; remains of excavated house not found. Neolithic and Early Saxon pits with pottery, no Roman finds; medieval and post medieval features.
See (S8) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 November 1991.

1991-1992. Watching brief on line of Norwich Southern Bypass.
Found metal detecting and in fieldwork. Sites 62-4.
Roman coins and nail, medieval key, Late Saxon sherds.
See full details and maps in file for NHER 29040.
E. Rose (NLA), July 1992.

T. Ashwin (NAU) clarifies 1991 report by saying the area of the house was hidden by scrub. Anonymous report 1996 that the wall is still standing and the whole outline of the building can be seen in a ploughed field.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 January 1997.

April 2010. Norfolk NMP.
Pits excavated in the northern part of the site (S9), within the area of cropmarks now recorded as part of NHER 53475, could not be identified with any confidence on the consulted aerial photographs.
S. Tremlett (NMP), 13 April 2010.

March 2009. Norfolk NMP.
The cropmarks previously recorded under this number are now likely to relate to those under NHER 52326, an area of enclosures and boundaries of late Saxon to post medieval date at Markshall, see record for details.
S. Horlock (NMP), 24 March 2009.

Monument Types

  • LINEAR FEATURE (Unknown date)
  • OCCUPATION SITE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • PIT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • POST HOLE (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • INHUMATION (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • PIT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • PIT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • DITCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FARMSTEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HEARTH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POST HOLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • SITE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WELL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • LEAF ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • POT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • NAIL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • PLAQUE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BOWL (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • HUMAN REMAINS (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • PENDANT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
  • HARNESS (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MILLSTONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HARNESS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • MUSKET BALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG2305Y, AF, ADC-ADW, ADX-AED, AEE-AEG.
---Article in Serial: Larwood, G. P. 1952. A Late Medieval Farmstead at Markshall. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 358-364.
---Photograph: NAU.
---Monograph: Ashwin, T.. 2000. Norwich Southern Bypass Project.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 91 & 92.
---Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1992. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk in 1991. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt III pp 371-379. p 372.
---Thesis: Garrow, D.. 2006. Pits, Settlement and Deposition during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age in East Anglia. during the Neolithic and Early Pits, Settlement and Deposition during the Neolithic and Early Bronze Age in East Anglia.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Caister-By-Norwich.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Caistor St Edmund [2].
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
<S1>Publication: Norfolk Research Comm. Bull.. No 2. no.2.
<S2>Serial: 1950. The Archaeological Newsletter. Vol 3 No 2. p 38.
<S3>Publication: 1916. Rye's Diary. p.140. p 140.
<S4>Article in Serial: Astley. 1909. NAM. Series 2, Vol III, pp 39-45. pp 39-45.
<S5>Article in Serial: Clarke, R. R. 1935. Notes on the Archaeology of Markshall. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt III pp 354-367. pp 360-366.
<S6>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map.. 1926.
<S7>Unpublished Document: Ashwin, T.. 1991. NAU Report No. 114. Summary Report of Excavations at Borrow Pit OS 2400, Caistor St Edmund..
<S8>Article in Serial: Dukenfield Astley, Rev. H. J.. 1906. The True Site of Markshall Church and a supposed Roman Landing Place. Norfolk Antiquarian Miscellany. Second Series Pt 1 pp 39-45. Pp 39-45.
<S9>Monograph: Ashwin, T. and Bates S. 2000. Norwich Southern Bypass, Part I: Excavations at Bixley, Caistor St Edmund, Trowse. East Anglian Archaeology. No 91. fig. 154.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service