Record Details

NHER Number:9520
Type of record:Building
Name:St Mary Magdalen's Church, Mulbarton

Summary

A medieval parish church with a 14th century west tower with chequered flushwork, with a late 19th century north aisle and other 19th century alterations. The church has an octagonal stone font and a 17th century wall monument to Sir Edwin Rich who died in 1675.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 1942 0114
Map Sheet:TG10SE
Parish:MULBARTON, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

November 1959. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with stone and some brick dressings. Lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch and chancel with vestry to north. 14rh century west tower with chequered flushwork on diagonal buttresses, curvilinear 2-light traceried bell-openings and renellated parapet. Two 2-light cusped Y-traceried nave windows. North aisle of 1875 with one re-used cusped Y-traceried window. Chancel with two flat headed 2-light windows in Perpendicular style with westernmost retaining some original tracery. 19th century east window. 19th century vestry. Plain chamfered tower and chancel arches. 19th century north arcade in 14th century style. Chancel piscina. Octagonal font with quatrefoil panels, arcaded base and ribbed wooden cover. Wall monument to Sir Edwin Rich (died 1675) with flanking foliage scrolls and model of hour-glass above.
Information from (S1).

Said to be of the mid 13th century, appears more of the early 14th, with 15th century alterations and extensions of 1875.
Very important collection of 17th century memorials.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 17 May 1991.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL MONUMENT (1675, Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL PAINTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1730.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Correspondence: Wright, J.. 1992. Letter. 18th December.
---Correspondence: Rose, E.. 1991. Letter. 17 May.
---Serial: 1818. Excursions through Norfolk.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 547-548.
---Leaflet: Come & Akers. 1932. Mulbarton with Keningham, Norfolk..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1172267.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1991. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service