|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval 'Slipper Chapel' garden house|
This is the southern of two garden houses that once belonged to Bawburgh Hall (NHER 9299). The other is NHER 9300. This 17th century building has four tall gables with round recesses. Inside are a series of wooden seats. It has been called the Slipper Chapel and legends has it that pilgrims left their shoes here and walked barefoot to the holy well of St Wulstan (NHER 9298). The age and style of the building, however, sugggest it is more likely to have been a summerhouse in the grounds of the hall.
|Grid Reference:||TG 1574 0878|
|Parish:||BAWBURGH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
13 October 1976. Visit.
Southern of two garden houses of c.1634. Four tall gables with round recesses; frieze of circles cut by large blocked
window to east, other windows with wooden mullions (some blocked now with cement), and clamp irons forming initials 'LS' (presumably Stafford). Brick round-headed doorways, open to north, blocked to south. Wooden seats inside. On west side a strange circular stone carving with central hole, near floor. In very poor condition.
E. Rose (NAU).
See (S1) (pre 1992) as large rolled plans.
E. Rose (NAU).
September 2013. Several visits from 1985
Repaired in 1981. A Jacobean baqueting house. For defintion see (NHER 9300). It had an upper storey with an external staircase. It is built of re-used Caen stone ashlar which came no doubt from the shrine of St Wulstan. Commonly called 'slipper chapel' to associate it with the medieval pilgrimage to the shrine. See (S2) and (NHER 9300) for details .
S. Heywood (HES). 12 September 2013
- BANQUETING HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Scheduled Monument
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF74. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 10 NE 7 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 197. |
|---||Photograph: 1990-2. Photographs of the Garden House, Bawburgh.. Colour, B&W. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Bawburgh. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1980. Homes to enclose monuments. 7 February. |
|<S1>||*Rolled Plan: Large Plan Exists. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2012. Bawburgh monuments, Hall Farm Place, Bawburgh. |
|11626||Related to: Bawburgh Hall outbuildings and garden wall (Building)|
|9300||Related to: Post medieval 'Hermit's House' or 'Dovecot' garden house (Building)|
Find out more...