Record Details

NHER Number:9236
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Old Buckenham

Summary

The main parts of this church date to around 1340 including the polygonal tower although it has been suggested that this was built around an earlier Saxon round tower. The Norman north door has been reset from elsewhere as has the voussoir that was discovered in 1994.
The north arcade dates to the late 14th century and there are some 15th century windows. Inside are a lovely set of medieval carved bench ends, perhaps Old Testament Prophets.

Images

  • The tower of All Saints' Church in Old Buckenham  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service

Location

Grid Reference:TM 0675 9143
Map Sheet:TM09SE
Parish:OLD BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

July 1958. Grade I listed.
Parish church dating from the 12th century, rebuilt in the early 14th century and restored in 1858. The church is constructed of rendered flint with ashlar quoins and thatched roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, chancel. Octagonal tower in 2 stages with roll moulded shafts at corners reappearing on moulded plinths below base course. 2-light reticulated west window with arched trefoil window above. String course at belfry stage. 2-light louvred Y belfry windows and similar to alternating faces but blocked with knapped flint. 17th century brick parapet with stepped crenellations. West wall of nave 12th century of carstone masonry. 15th century gabled south porch with lead roof, the arched opening hollow and chamfer moulded. Inner doorway wave moulded. Blocked east and west windows. 4 panel traceried nave windows of 2 or 3 lights under segmental or depressed arches. Rebated chancel with lower roof lit by 3 2-light Y windows under hoods on head stops. Arched priest's door with brick repairs. East wall of chancel rebuilt in brick C19 with flat buttress to south. Flint base course. 3-light intersecting east window. One Y window to north chancel. 3-light C15 panel window to east of north aisle and 3 similar to north wall separated by flat buttresses, that to corners diagonal. C12 north door with round arch decorated with cable and stud supported on single order of shafts with scalloped capitals. Square imposts. C17 timber door. 2 pointed 2-light C19 windows complete fenestration of aisle. Interior. 4 bay north arcade of late C14. Quatrefoil piers with hollow fillets between lobes on moulded base and polygonal plinth. Moulded capitals and double hollow chamfered arches. Scissor braced and plastered nave roof. Aisle roof with crenellated wall plate, moulded purlin and transverse beams on arched braces with traceried spandrels. C15 octagonal font with alternating designs : shields in split cusped circles and encircled quatrefoils. Grotesque heads below and plinth with engaged columns. Base of C15 screen at east end of aisle comprising 2 tiers of paired blind, lights with carved and repainted tracery. Nave seating 1858. C15 stall ends in chancel poppyhead with carved figures of prophets. Boarded scissor braced roof. Some C15 glass in 2 eastern south nave window heads. Royal arms of George III on west wall. C15 inner south door.
Information taken from listing.
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009

April 2000. Bell and bellframe survey.
The octagonal west tower has a chime of 6 bells. The frame was cleared from the tower in 1961.
See (S1) in file
H. White, (NLA), 29 September 2009

Northwest quoins of nave conglomerate.
Norman north doorway, reset.
Main church of around 1340 including polygonal west tower, possibly an older core.
North arcade late 14th century.
Some 15th century windows.
See (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 4 September 2001.

Inside are a lovely set of medieval carved bench ends, perhaps Old Testament Prophets.
See (S3).
M. Dennis (NLA), 12 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to Post Medieval - 851 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM 0691 A-G.
---Article in serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 181.
---Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans..
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TM 0691R - U.
---Unpublished document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk.
---Unpublished document: Turner, B.. 2001. All Saints Church Old Buckenham..
---Photograph: 1992. All Saints Church, Old Buckenham. Porch roof, lead from porch roof and Norman voussoir.
---Newspaper Article: 1999. Eastern Daily Press. 20 September.
---Newspaper Article: 1994. Eastern Daily Press. 5 October.
---Illustration: Ladbrooke. About 1830. 2.
---Leaflet: Brian Turner. All Saints Church, Old Buckenham..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Unpublished document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk. Shropham Hundred.
<S2>Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 2001. Building Report..
<S3>Website: Knott, S.. 2006. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/oldbuckenham/oldbuckenham.htm.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service