|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible Roman road and medieval deer park boundary|
Two straight hedged and ditched field boundaries mark the parish boundaries between Old Buckenham and Carleton Rode and New Buckenham and Carleton Rode. It has been suggested that they may indicate the course of a Roman road. They served as the eastern boundary of the medieval Buckenham deer park (NHER 44620).
Images - none
Straight field and parish boundaries suggested by R. R. Clarke (NCM) as course of a Roman road later made into eastern boundary of New Buckenham Castle Park.
First stretch runs from TM 0968 9039 to 0958 9128, forming edge of The Common and pasture to south. There is no evidence on the ground for an Roman road, but the hedge is of great age, only cut by one gate north of main road, and is accompanied by a ditch.
Second section runs north from Folly Lane at TM 0940 9188 to join the Double Dykes at TM 0911 9350. This appears to be the same hedge, making its planting as a park boundary very probable, but no evidence for Roman road on ground either at Folly Lane or at Bury's Hall. On north side Folly Lane on line a gaspipe pit revealed only 18cm (6in) topsoil above natural.
E.Rose (NAU), 17 and 18 November 1976.
June 2012. Norfolk NMP.
Aerial photographs of this area were examined as part of the National Mapping Programme. It was not possible to confirm that these field boundaries formed part of a Roman road or possible deer park boundary. A section of earthwork bank (NHER 57351) was visible to the west, however, which may also have formed part of New Buckenham park boundary (NHER 44620), and/or Bunn’s Bank (NHER 9206), and a section of possible Roman road was visible crossing New Buckenham Common (NHER 57350).
E. Bales (NMP), 18th June 2012.
- ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- DEER PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HEDGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
|44620||Parent of: Buckenham deer park (Monument)|
Find out more...