|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St Andrew's Church, Old Buckenham|
The site of St Andrew's, a medieval church, is now under some stables. The church belonged to Old Buckenham Abbey (NHER 9202) and was dissolved along with the abbey in 1536. A mansion was built on the site and later the present stables. Human skeletons were found here in 1968.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0728 9128|
|Parish:||OLD BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of, belonging to Old Buckenham priory. At dissolution passed to Sir Thomas Knevet and was converted into a barn. Marked as St Andrew's Hall on Ordnance Survey.
NCM reports that after the digging of new foundation holes 75cm (2 feet 6 inches) for a new barn at ‘The Stud’, human burials were discovered. They appear to belong to the churchyard of St Andrew. After 1536 the church then belonged to Sir Thomas Knevet and was converted into a barn. The entire site is now under stables ect.
Information taken from (S4).
E. Rose (NAU), 18 November 1976 amended by M. Langham-Lopez (HES), 02 May 2013.
Presumably the site later became a mansion as it is recorded as the seat of the Hon. and Rev. G. Herbert in 1805.
Information from (S1).
In 1797 belonged to Miss Head.
E. Rose (NAU).
Appropriate section from (S3) in file.
- BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. |
|<S4>||Article in serial: Wilson, D. M. and Hurst, D. G. 1971. Medieval Britain in 1968. Medieval Archaeology. Vol XIII (for 1969) pp 230-287. p251. |
Related records - none
Find out more...