|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval stone obelisk|
A stone obelisk in the shape of a pyramid on square base stands on The Howdale green. It was moved here in the 1930s from the top of the town pump in the market place.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6168 0307|
|Parish:||DOWNHAM MARKET, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 1976. Visit.
Stone obelisk in form of pyramid upon square base, on the green known as The Howdale. Gothic cusping. Formerly on top of town pump in Market Place, and surmounted by cross. Marks of metal fittings can still be seen. Originally set up before 1868, removed to present position around 1935.
(S1) of old position in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1976.
- OBELISK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUMP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Photograph of the town pump, prior to 1935. 27 February. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Newspaper Article: [unknown]. [unknown]. The Old Town Pump to Go (photograph of town pump, circa 1935). [unknown]. |
|<S1>||Photograph: BDE 11. |
Related records - none
Find out more...