|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Paul's Church, Thuxton, Garvestone|
A medieval and later church with early origins. The building consists of a short west tower with a south stair turret and an octagonal top, a nave, north porch, demolished south aisle, demolished south chapel, and a chancel. The earliest element of the church is part of the north nave wall, which is Late Saxon or Early Norman. The chancel was extended east in the 13th century, probably at the same time the tower and south aisle were built. In the 15th century, the nave was raised to incorporate its large new north windows and a south clerestory; at this time, the upper part of the tower was added, the top of the belfry being removed later. The south aisle was demolished in the 17th or 18th century. Restorations took place in the 19th century.
Inside is an important example of a Norman font, and fragments of medieval glass can be seen in the west window and north chancel window. The east window has a late 19th century crucifixion scene.
|Grid Reference:||TG 0324 0710|
|Parish:||GARVESTONE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
|THUXTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
West tower with octagonal top; nave; north porch; south aisle (demolished), south chapel (demolished) and chancel.
Norman font; Jacobean pulpit (C.P.W.).
E. Rose (NLA).
1970s or 80s. Alan Carter Norwich Survey.
See (S1), which includes (S2).
T.E. Miller (NLA), 19 April 2006.
Saxo-Norman north nave wall. Norman font. Church extended (apse enlarged) and then extended again with new chancel, tower base and perhaps south aisle, in about 1300. Nave heightened and refenestrated, porch added and top of tower added or rebuilt in 15th century. Aisle removed and tower beheaded in 17th or 18th century. Overall restoration in about 1900. Some good 17th century memorials.
This sequence has some differences from that suggested by (S3), an extract of which is in file, some new evidence having been revealed.
See report (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 August 2003.
- CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Ladbrooke AS30-31, EUG 22-6. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077310. |
|---||Photograph: Rose, E.. 2003. KKY 6-11. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Illustration: Ladbrooke. [unknown]. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 729. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Batcock, N.. 1989. Deserted Village of Thuxton.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 46, 2. p 3. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...