Record Details

NHER Number:8618
Type of record:Building
Name:St Margaret's Church, Burgh St Margaret

Summary

A medieval parish church, dating back to the 12th century. The west tower dates from the 14th century, and the church was extensively restored in the 1870s. The church contains a 17th century brass, and an ornate 19th century font.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4449 1401
Map Sheet:TG41SW
Parish:FLEGGBURGH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Present church almost entirely of 1876 but retains 12th century Norman door and other fragments, 14th century tower, and north nave wall of about 1700.
See (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 23 July 1991.

September 1962. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description:
Parish church. 12th century origins, remodelled. 14th century and 15th century. Restored 1876, tower restored 1900 by H. Green, Diocesan architect. Cut flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Thatched roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. 3 stage square unbuttressed tower. 2-light west window with 4-petal vesica. Clock faces to west and south sides. String course below belfry stage. 2- light louvred belfry windows. Crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch with side buttresses. Arched moulded entrance. 2-light side windows. Evidence of work earlier than 1876 elusive. 12th century inner south doorway. 2 orders. of shafts, the inner engaged, the outer with cushion capitals and bases. Arch with inner roll, deep zig-zag rolls and double billet hood. Fenestration of church entirely 19th century. 3 2-light Perpendicular south windows. 2 small lancets over porch and, in roof, a 3-light dormer under thatch. 3 flint and brick stepped buttresses. North nave also with 4 brick and flint stepped buttresses. Wall of whole flints. Remains of billet hood of north doorway. 2 2-light Perpendicular windows as south and 2 trefoiled lancets. One stepped buttress to chancel north and south. 2 2-light cusped Y tracery south windows. Priests' door to north chancel wall. Diagonal stepped eastern buttresses. 3-light east window. Interior. Doorway into tower. Western gallery of timber 1876 lit through dormer window. 19th century arched braced nave roof. 19th century chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds. Boarded 19th century scissor braced chancel roof. 19th century octagonal font with shields and emblems in bowl panels. Rosettes and ornamental details abound. In south chancel wall a brass to Joannes Burton, 1608. Kneeling figure dressed in ecclesiastical costume prayes at stall. Behind him a perspective tiled floor recedes in the manner of Flemish Renaissance painters. Below him is an inscription panel. Wall monument to George Fisher who died of wounds received at Gaza 1917.
Information from (S2).

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FONT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG4413A, B.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 418-419.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1899. Hundreds of East and West Flegg. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol IV. pp 61-66.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2017. Joy as church restoration is completed in time for Christmas. 30 November.
<S1>Unpublished Document: E. Rose. 1991. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372907.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service