Record Details

NHER Number:8590
Type of record:Building
Name:Clippesby Hall

Summary

A late 16th century hall, which was demolished in 1905. Some of the walls of the house have survived. The farm buildings date mainly from the 18th century, including an unusual cart lodge and stock house.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 4215 1447
Map Sheet:TG41SW
Parish:FLEGGBURGH, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK

Full description

Dated 1590 by R. R. Clarke from (S1), but (S1) says 1583, only one wall and stables remaining, the rest pulled down in 1905.

Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 16 November 1978.
The remaining wall, flint and brick, is now the rear wall of the modern garages; on their inside is a stone coat of arms with the date 1583. To west of modern house a 2 storeyed flint building probably a contemporary barn, with slit windows, blocked in brick and other brick patches and stone blocks.
Brick stables, 18th century, as is large thatched brick barn to north.
Owners say woodwork was sold to America and there are legends of a hidden treasure.
E. Rose (NAU) November 1978.

(S2) notes that the building adjacent to the brick barn is a stock house with granary above, divided in two by brick wall formerly with three arches in it. The loft does not extend beyond the brick wall. Possibly a cart lodge and feed store with stock house attached; if so, unique.
E. Rose (NAU) 13 January 1995.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • LIVERY STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished document: Rossi, A.P.. 1993. Plans.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Fleggburgh.
<S1>Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards.
<S2>Publication: Wade-Martins, S.. 1994. Norfolk Farmsteads Thematic Survey. p.32-3.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service