|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Benet's Level Drainage Mill|
This drainage windmill is marked on Faden's map of Norfolk published in 1797. It was fitted with an annular sail during the later 19th century but following gale damage was restored in more traditional form in the 1890s. The four storey brick tower has a boat-shaped cap and 10-bladed fantail. Inside all the main machinery is intact. The mill was restored in 1970s and again in the late 1990s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3994 1563|
|Parish:||HORNING, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
This drainage windmill is marked on (S1) and certainly appears to date from the 18th century. It was fitted with an annular sail during the later 19th century but following gale damage was restored to a more traditional form in the 1890s. The 4-storey brick tower has a boat-shaped cap and 10-bladed fantail. Inside, all the main machinery is intact. The mill retains an early door (and door fittings) on the river side of the tower. A pencil inscription on the inside of the door records the loss of the American mill. The mill was restored in 1970s and again in the late 1990s.
A. Yardy (HES), 02 November 2012.
Late 18th century restored 1976. Tapering four storey brick tower. Door to east. Boat shaped cap; sails, gallery, fanstage. Striking chain wheel and tailpole. All machinery intact including external turbine (Bevel gears replaced 1976).
E. Rose (NAU), 31 October 1986.
(S3) notes earlier alterations shown by altered levels and blocked windows. At one time the mill was given American circular sails. Burnt down early in 20th century and restored by England's.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 August 1996.
- DRAINAGE MILL (Post Medieval to World War Two - 1750 AD? to 1940 AD)
- TOWER MILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD? to 2050 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1750 AD? to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TG3915/A - E. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1999. Eastern Daily Press. 5 November. & photo. |
|---||Newspaper Article: 1990. Eastern Daily Press. 28 July. & photo. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: 1996. Eastern Daily Press. 24 March. & photo. |
|<S4>||Photograph: 1999. CQX15. St Benet's Level Pump. |
|56158||Related to: Site of 19th-century steam engine house (Monument)|
|56159||Related to: Site of marsh farmstead (Monument)|
Find out more...