|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Old Carrow Bridge|
Old Carrow Bridge was first built in 1810 as a bypass for Foundry Bridge, and is believed to have been of wood. It was replaced in 1833 by an iron bascule bridge. In 1923 it was moved to a new site (NHER 843), ostensibly as Unemployment Relief Work, due to pressure from Colmans to extend their works over the public road.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2405 0766|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Old Carrow Bridge.
First built 1810 as bypass for Foundry Bridge, believed to have been of wood. Replaced 1833 by iron bascule bridge. Removed to new site 1923, ostensibly as Unemployment Relief Work, in fact due to pressure from Colmans to extend their works over the public road.
Press cutting (S1) showing 1833 bridge in file.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 14 September 2000.
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1810 AD to 1923 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. King of the road takes the high-way at Carrow Road. 4 September. |
Related records - none
Find out more...