|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Remains of city wall, Barrack Street/River Lane|
In 1988 a trench in this area cut into the remains of the city wall. The wall structure appeared to be made entirely of flint.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23540 09393|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Eastern Electricity trench running east to west along south side of Barrack Street.
Approaching River Lane the trench runs south of the footpath. Cuts line of City Wall 3.25m south of south kerb edge.
Top of wall only 5cm below surface, immediately underneath the tarmac (location plan in River Lane file).
West face (interior) visible and dressed with facing flints.
East face (exterior) obscured by later abutting brickwork.
60cm depth of wall visible, all part of the superstructure.
Presumption that more superstructure plus footing remain unexcavated.
Width of wall 1.20m. Built entirely of flint, both quarried and river-worn.
Bonding agent lime mortar - hard, sandy, moist, cream-coloured with fairly common chalk and flint fleck inclusions (description is of mortar from wall core).
Photography not possible.
Approximately 60cm depth of wall and 80cm length destroyed for cable duct.
Compiled by B. S. Ayers (NAU), 1988.
- TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|384||Part of: Norwich City Defences (Monument)|
Find out more...