Record Details

NHER Number:8067
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Horstead Mill

Summary

A late 18th century watermill, which may have been built on the site of a 16th century mill. The mill burnt down in 1963.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2670 1936
Map Sheet:TG21NE
Parish:COLTISHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK
HORSTEAD WITH STANNINGHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Horstead Watermill.
Built 1790, burnt down 1963, see [1].
This stands on the site of an Elizabethan or earlier mill, see map reproduced in (S1); copied in (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 22 March 1982.

The Lock Cut was made in 1775, so is the date of 1790 correct? Or Is this a rebuilding?
(S3) described this as weatherboarded, ground floor on arches, six small gables, across road from millers house.
Now a picturesque overgrown ruin after fire, two or more ranges of parallel brick arches standing above the sluices; modern weir inserted.
Visited E. Rose (NAU), 26 May 1983.

Turbine from mill now in grounds of Gressenhall Rural Life Museum.
E. Rose (NAU), 23 June 1988.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval to Mid 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1963 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983-1984. [Articles on the planning decision for the site of Horstead Mill].
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Newspaper Article: Evening News. 1997. It was then. 1 October.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. [Photograph of Horstead Mill before the fire of 1963]. 27 January.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. [Photograph of Horstead Mill]. 24 September.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Beauty spot idea for burned-down mill. 1 February.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1999. Clearing up fire damage - after nearly 40 years. 13 December.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1963. [Article and letter to the editor about the fire at Horstead Mill].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1960. Mill to lose link with past. 11 March.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1973. Mill ruins may soon go. 11 May.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. Mill water 'danger to children' claim. 20 August.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 569.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Fine mill before fire struck. 5 February.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1963. [Photograph of Horstead Mill after the fire]. 24 January.
---Photograph: EGL 36.
<S1>Article in Serial: Corbett, W.J.. 1897. Elizabethan Village Surveys.. Transactions of the Royal Historical Society New Series. Vol XI.
<S2>Article in Serial: Campbell, B. M. S. 1981. The Extent and Layout of Commonfields in Eastern Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVIII Pt I pp 5-32. p 9.
<S3>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 173; Pl 2b.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service