Record Details

NHER Number:8031
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Late Bronze Age axehead hoard

Summary

A hoard of about thirty Late Bronze Age copper alloy socketed axeheads was exhibited to the Society of Antiquaries in 1827. These were found in Horstead in 1823. The exact location of this discovery is unclear.

Images - none

Location

Parish:HORSTEAD WITH STANNINGHALL, BROADLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

1823.
Hoard of about thirty socketed axes.
Exhibited in 1827 to the Society of Antiquaries by H. Gurney.

Possibly from Little Switzerland.
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

(S1) was written after receiving information from Mr Pightling who found them 'at Horstead 1823'. A sketch of an axe (with a break in it's side) in (S1) is the same as an axe in the NCM. It is probable that three other socketed axes in the S. Woodward Collection 1838 in the NCM, listed as No. 287 in (S3), also came from this hoard - with raised ribs. These three axes are recorded in (S4).
Also see axe 27.94 listed in (S3).
E. Rose (NAU).

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)

Associated Finds

  • HOARD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
  • SOCKETED AXEHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)
  • SOCKETED AXEHEAD (Late Bronze Age - 1000 BC to 701 BC)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 21 NE 13.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Horstead.
<S1>Serial: 1827. Woodward Correspondance.
<S2>Serial: 1827. Archaeol.. vol.XXII p.422.
<S3>Publication: Norwich Castle Museum. 1910. Catalogue of Antiquities in Norwich Castle Museum. p 286.
<S4>Archive: British Museum. 1913 onwards. Bronze Age Index.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service