|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Mill Farm, site of post medieval watermill|
The site of a post medieval watermill and an associated house and barn. The watermill appears on a map dating to 1797 and was demolished during the 1930s. The house survives and the earliest sections probably date to the middle of the 16th century. It includes reused medieval masonry that probably came from the St Faith's Priory (NHER 8005). A barn built about 1690 was demolished between 1977 and 1994. Local legend associates it with the site of a medieval monastic hospital (NHER 17884). An outbuilding demolished in 1992 may have been the chapel of the monastic hospital.
Images - none
Site of demolished watermill.
Mill House, still standing, consists of three basic elements, all of which contain reused medieval masonry presumably from the priory (NHER 8005). Two sections are probably late 16th century in date, one with a magnificent roof; the third section was added probably around 1620 when the adjoining section was reroofed.
A major refacing took place around 1690 when ornate barn, now demolished, was added. About 1820 the building was altered and refenestrated, and other alterations took place 1890.
See full report (S1) and newspaper cutting (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), May 1996.
Local legend has associated the barn with the site of a medieval monastic hospital (NHER 17884).
E. Rose (NAU), 30 September 1991.
The watermill appears on a map dating to 1797 (S3) and was demolished during the 1930s.
The barn built about 1690 was demolished between 1977 and 1994.
Information from (S1).
D. Robertson (NLA), 22 March 2006.
- CHAPEL? (Medieval to Cold War - 1066 AD to 1992 AD)
- OUTBUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MILL POND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WATERMILL (Post Medieval to Early 20th Century - 1540 AD? to 1930 AD?)
- (Former Type) MILL HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1650 AD? to 2100 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1650 AD? to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1650 AD? to 2100 AD)
- BARN (Late 17th century to 1994, 17th Century to Late 20th Century - 1675 AD? to 1994 AD?)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: 1996. HJP 1-9 Mill House, Horsham St Faith and Newton St Faith. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 21 NW 15. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 568. |
|---||Illustration: Remains of Hospital of Knights Templar's. Horsham St Faith, Norfolk. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1996. Building Report.. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1995. Mill Farmhouse in need of love. 3 November. |
|<S3>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|41694||Parent of: Medieval stonework in Mill Farm barn (Find Spot)|
|8005||Related to: Benedictine Priory of St Faith (Monument)|
|17884||Related to: Site of a medieval monastic hospital (Monument)|
Find out more...